Neighbours decking bridging my damp course - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour has a company putting decking up in their garden to turn it from split level to all one level (no planning permission applied for)

I have a couple of issues and hope someone 'in the know' can shed some light.

To make the area level the decking is approximately 30 inches from the ground and rests against my garage wall - approximately 24 inches above my damp course. They have also made some supports from breeze block which rest against my garage wall bridging the damp course. The boards run towards my garage wall so any water will run down my garage wall.

I think I already know the answer to this but do you think I'm right to be annoyed and concerned that this will cause my garage to get damp?

Would a building inspector be interested in knowing what they are doing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If their decking is more than 30cm above ground level they need planning permission.

Contact your local planning dept and complain.

To be honest I don't want to complain as the fact they're getting decking isn't really a concern. It's the fact that I have a classic car in the garage and I don't want the garage getting damp due to the bridging of the damp course and excessive water running off the decking. I had an issue with damp a few years ago as soil had built up against the back of the garage above the damp course. I rectified that and don't want it to happen again.

Sponsored Links
if your that bothered get them to fit an edge to the decking to divert the water

wont the dampness come from the ground up through the breeze block as well?

then tell them to move it, i think they have to leave you space to maintain your wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back