Unknown Water Source Under Deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a house which has an extensive deck system for access to various parts of the house. All looks in very good condition.

However I noticed while I was under part of it today that there is a wet patch on the brick wall of the house and the timbers connected to the wall are wet and look to have been for some time.

However, the same location above deck all is dry and sound and lovely.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the water is coming from. The area of the deck in question is a couple of steps leading down to the grass so the space under it is quite tight. The timber support does extend into the ground - is it possible something like that could be channelling water?

I know it is hard without seeing it, but I am at a bit of a loss as to why it could be so wet with no obvious water source other than the ground and why it stops under the deck. Can't take any photos just now as it is too dark.

Any ideas or what to check would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here are some photos. Was raining yesterday. House has a very big basement and no obvious wet issues on the inside and nothing obvious leaking. The sun is making its way round the house this morning drying tue top of the deck.
IMG_20150815_093942.jpg
IMG_20150815_094011.jpg
IMG_20150815_093959.jpg
IMG_20150815_093930.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pour some water onto the steps and see which way it runs. Odds are it runs towards the wall. If it does then the damp patch is due to rain water landing on the steps and then running down the wall. Because of the timber bolted to the wall the water cannot run straight down the wall so it is soaking into the bricks.

Create a drainage route for the rain water on the steps such that it cannot reach the wall. A row of holes across the steps would probably solve the problem. Drill one through each groove and far enough from the wall that the water drips onto the ground. It would help to add a drip bar to prevent the water that has gone through the hole from running along the under side of the step and reaching the wall.

hole and drip bar.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back