Dark imprints on new deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently finished a brand new deck. The grass was looking a little worse for wear so I used some granulated weed and feed (kills the weeds and has grass seed too).

When it gets wet it has a faint chlorine smell (Best I can describe it)

Anyway, coincidently or not, a few days later some dull grey footprints or portions of footprints showed up on my deck.

Is it possible the chemicals caused the discoloration?

I tried the power washer with no luck. A very light sand sorts it out but I can't do that to them all because then there will be very light spots in the deck.

1.) Could the weed killer be the cause?
2.) Is there a way to get rid of the dull grey discoloration or will it work itself out as the pressure treated decking boards age?

I am planning to wait the suggested 6 months before treating the timber.

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion

you will just make the problem worse[more visible] you are going to remove a chemical discolouration with more [assuming stronger] chemicals can only in my opinion look more blotchy

take 2 or 3 off cuts side by side in a long length replicate the foot prints in several areas leaving 2 untouched areas

try several "cleaners" overlapping both the decking and the foot print

im h o nothing will work untill you recoat or nature reduces the effects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back