decking plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to deck most of my garden (its only small). The issue I have is that by the back door, the ground is about 6 inches below, and actually slopes up towards the coal house, which has a door close to the house wall - a step into there of only 3 inches.

The ground close to the house is concrete, and I dont want to take it up. It will provide a nice base - its not level or even (hence the decking) but its stable.

Would it be acceptable to have smaller joists (4x2?) close to the house, supported maybe on driveway bricks or board offcuts at regular intervals? What distance would you consider spanning with 4x2's or even 3x2's? The coalhouse is being rebuilt anyway, so I could raise the floor level in there with concrete (to hide the cobbles which are poking through the thin concrete!). Or I could move the door to the other end. Or even continue the deck into there.

I also plan to have a rail along one end, due to the step down to the driveway, maybe only rope-thru-posts, but a proper balustrade system would be nice. (Its not terribly high, only maybe a foot max)

Are there any cheap online suppliers of decking timber? I had a browse a while back and found some good deals, but has anyone used any of these services?

Just found edecks. They look very good on their website, with free delivery too. I might give them a go. Local timber suppliers just seem so expensive for decks.

Sponsored Links
you need planning permission for decking out buildings or extensions that cover more than 50% off the garden as applicable at 1948 or later iff applicable
or if its above 300mm above the highest natural ground level it covers

yer what? I've never heard of this. Planning permission for a deck? Why? How is it different from covering the ground with slabs or concrete.

My dad has quite a large area of deck in his garden, and keeps adding to it.

big-all, your post isnt entirely clear, please clarify the situation regarding decks.

cheers.

(by the way, I have just noticed I typed "front door" where I meant "back door", and corrected this)

When you have finished pointing out the legalities of what I want to do, please give me some practical advice along the lines that I asked for above! Cheers!

There are thousands of threads in the Gardening Section about decking, no doubt what you wish to do has been answered hundreds of times already although your thread is slightly confusing. Probably why nobody else has bothered to reply. If you're gonna sit your joists on existing concrete why do they need to span anything?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking/ unlikely anyone will complain and less chance of the planners doing anything about it although you never know.

When you've finished complaining about replies to your thread maybe you could add some photos and retype your thread so that it actually makes sense.

Sponsored Links
yer what? I've never heard of this. Planning permission for a deck? Why? How is it different from covering the ground with slabs or concrete.
Regulations changed in October 2008; you will need PP if your deck is higher then 300mm or, together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover more than 50 per cent of the garden area. If you do need PP your likely to need Building Regs as well which could open up a whole different can of worms. Follow the link posted by FMT.

Since October 2010, you may even need PP for slabs of concrete if they are in your front garden!

My dad has quite a large area of deck in his garden, and keeps adding to it.
If it doesn’t comply with the above, he’s in breach of Planning Regulations & if someone dobs him in, he’s have to apply or remove it; he may also be asked to produce planning approval documentation if he decides to sell up. ;)

big-all, your post isnt entirely clear, please clarify the situation regarding decks.

cheers.

all ready been answered above lol

1948 was the date for simplicity so if a houses had an extension before 1948 it was called part off the footprint for the sake off these regulations

so you take the origional garden area and keep extentions sheds and decking below 50% to avoid planning

the 300mm is the point you need planning the datum point for this is the highest natural point it covers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back