Decking...what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have just pressure washed our wooden decking. Not sure of age but smooth rather than ridged. Pale wood, feels warm to bare feet. It's come up well but we're hesitating over putting any products on it. Does it have to be stained/waxed/varnished? If so, what sort of product/application method is most effective? Dreading hours of brush and sponge work...Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Not knowing how the deck was previously treated,if treated at all but have used Liberon deck oil on cleaned decking.
Atleast 3 coats for general protection,more coats in heavy traffic areas,do you need an low slip surface ? if so dont use ^^oil,other products are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Liberon advice, but yes, non slip would be essential with an arthritic mother and whippet to think of. And me after a large martini possibly.

Question really is...do you 'have to' treat decking, or can you leave it untreated? I presume it's pressure treated already. It looks lovely and silver now and I don't want to touch it unless I have to to preserve it. Thoughts?

Don't put anything but decking oil on it, paint on finishes wash off very quickly and look awful.It's treated but not immortal , oil once a year, quick and easy to do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. It's useful...although can't quite grasp first bit of second sentence.
But MUST decking be treated or can it be left as it is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back