Outdoor Decking Patchy After Sanding/Oiling! - Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a question about decking that I could really do with answering today!

I have some wooden decking outside my flat that we havnt oiled for a while and as a result it was started to look a little "dry". In places the wood looked a bit weather so rather than just applying colourless decking oil directly to the wood I wanted to do a "proper" job and clean and sand down the wood before doing this. Sadly I now seem to have made the problem worse!...

I have attached some pictures to demonstrate.

http://i52.tinypic.com/28s7srs.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/21brbsx.jpg

On the far left this is the original wood (with no oil or sanding applied)
In the middle is simply applying the oil directly to the wood (without sanding)
On the far right is after both sanding and then applying the wood.

My problem is that the wood on the far right in the picture looks very "patchy". To get this effect I cleaned it (with washing up liquid and water) scrubbing with a long handle brush, then used a hand held electric orbital sander with (a roughness of "K120") and sanded down applying some pressure. The result was the wood looked brighter but its left these sort of patchy effects. Perhaps I could get these out by manually sanding down with sand paper but I am too scared to sand any further before seeking advice.

Long story short I dont want the entire deck to look patchy like this. As a result I tried simply oiling the wood (the middle plank in the photos). This looks more even and less patchy, but a lot darker and seems to me like it could do with sanding... i can't win!

Am I missing something here?

I don't really want to apply a varnish as I wanted the oil to be clear to be a natural wood finish.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Oil the rest and turn over the one you sanded, decking never needs sanding, though it not really decking just smooth timber and very dangerous in the wet I bet.

Hi. Many thanks for the quick response. This is against what I have read though and I'm pretty sure most advise says that sanding will achieve a much fresher more finished look especially if the wood has aged a bit.

any other tips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back