Decking oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i built my deck this summer, i brought two tins (35 squids each :eek: ) of natural colour decking oil - ronseal was the brand - and applied it according to manufacturers instructions.

Ie wait till the deck was really dry (it was in june when it was mega hot) and flood the deck with the stuff. Painting it on with a wallpaper paste brush (new)

I have to say im not that happy with the finish, its gone quite patchy.

Now, should i, when spring comes around, re apply more oil (im worried about the patches becoming more prominent) or stain the deck. (would this require sanding first, and if so, what would i used to sand the deck as it is the grooved type)

Any ideas for a really good finish which will prolong the life of the deck.
Cheers:cool:

Ben

Sponsored Links
When you say patchy, what do you mean? Are some areas a different shade now? I have use decking oil and never take any care to apply it. Just slop it on and brush. Never seen any problems. Are you sure the deck was clean to start with?

yep the deck was clean and dry when the oil was applied.
To say patchy, some areas look oiled and some less so.

That time is upon us again and im thinking of my garden, im going to clean the deck and reapply some oil.
Does anyone have any other opinons?

Sponsored Links
I dont know if this response is a bit late but last year treated my deck with the cuprinol spray bottle and put on a mild colour , it coverd well but i think decking maintainance is an ongoing chaw as i have been doing various things to my deck for years . cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back