Sanding my hardwood decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decking type = Yellow Balau
Previous finish = Ronseal decking oil

So my Ronseal hardwood decking didn't last 6months, i now have horrible silver patches everywhere. But they insist i never applied it correctly, well i have to say it did rain a few hours max after i applied it.. maybe that didn't help who knows. Sent me a few large tins free of charge so may take the plunge again.

Anyway i need to sand my decking area which is a bout 20m2 or more, tried my trusty palm sander on 120grit sheets but wow ill be there a long time.
Could i use a floor belt sander? Or something, im obviously aware i really don't want to start taking too much off as it's all bevelled edges etc.

TIA

Sponsored Links
I used decking cleaner followed by a pressure washer to take the old stain off mine. I don't think the cleaner really did much but the pressure washer certainly did, if you do the same then just be careful not to splinter the wood and maybe go over with a wire wool shank/sandpaper after to remove the few splinters that did appear.

Thanks but this isn't a stain it's more of what i believe to be penetrating oil. Where it hasn't penetrated properly the surface has turned grey, if i oil over this ill just have grey oil. Ive found some other parts ive restored i really needed to sand the surface off for the oil to bring up the redwood finish again.

Sponsored Links
Sure for untreated wood :confused: But repeat..im using decking oil!

And the properties list on the tin are..

Developed specifically for hardwood decking
Nourishes wood replacing its natural oils
Clear formulation enhances deck without adding colour
UV protection against colour fade<-----------

why do you want to sand it? I use a stiff nylon brush.

I have some oiled external hardwood (I use linseed)

I use Colron to level the colour before treatment. If you are going to walk on it, and sun and rain will get to it, there is not much chance of the colour staying as new. If you just use a coloured treatment the colour will change according to the thickness and wear of the finish.

rjm2k answered the OP , but to add , the uneven wear may be due to uneven application of oil, waste of time trying to sand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back