Restoring/maintaining hardwood decking - advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a yellow Balau deck just over 4m x 4m. Every spring i pressure wash and oil using something like Ronseal clear deck oil and it looks lovely for a few weeks before going silver and then covered in algae (it is north-east facing). Having done a bit of research I suspect I may not have left it long enough to dry prior to re-oiling. But I also think the Ronseal stuff isnt much good.

I would like to try and restore it before re-oiling. It has quite a bit of mildew and some silvering/fading but it looks lovely when wet. I have seen a product called Net-Trol. I would love to hear from anyone who has used it to restore the colour of hardwood decking, whether it is any good or not, or any similar product that works well. I have also seen suggestions of using bleach to remove mildew but I worry that it would bleach the colour of the wood - I want it to look darker not lighter!

Then I want to give it a couple of coats of a really good oil with UV protection. I dont want to use Ronseal or Cuprinol having had poor results so I am looking for something that lives up to the hype. Maybe Manns or Osmo? I have been looking at Owatrol but at £567 for 20 liters I cant afford to do that every spring! (the web site calculator says I need 18 liters).

TIA.
deck 1.jpg
deck 2.jpg
deck 3.jpg

Deck
Deck
Deck
iframe>
iframe>
iframe>

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back