Decoding consumer unfriendly certification labels on frames

but but but........ If Low-e + Argon + Black spacer = A, how do they make B in the same frame ?

And I can imagine every shister has there hand out for a slice, it sounds like the protection rackets we thought were last century!

Sponsored Links
but but but........ If Low-e + Argon + Black spacer = A, how do they make B in the same frame ?

And I can imagine every shister has there hand out for a slice, it sounds like the protection rackets we thought were last century!
I think you need low iron glass on the external pane to go from a B to an A

although in practice it probably doesnt make much real world difference as low iron glass allows more sunlight in so is only relevant in terms of solar gain -and mostly we need windows to perform at their best in the cold dark winter evenings.

Also low iron glass will only make any real difference on Southerly elevations

Ouch! and here is me with mostly North, East and shaded Westerly windows, I thought it was the likes of A+ & A++ that were into solar gain :)
Problem to me is that there is not a lot of easily accessible information about different glass unit U values so it's hard to tell the true difference between these ratings. I think part of the function of low-E glass is also to reflect room heat back into the room so it is not purely solar gain I think ?

Sponsored Links
Shame you pollute threads by spouting CRAP, according to at least one source leakage is <1% per year.
Haha ... and that source is talking out of its a4se... I remember going to a Fensa meeting 20 years ago and sitting there , Someone asked that very question...I turned to my colleague and said watch this the answer is yes.( bear in mind i mentioned in a previous answer i had dealings with Censolutions for Sealed unit manufacturing)... as the Fensa representative hid behind his flip chart, poked his head round the corner and said ... yep you've guessed it... yes it will , within 5 years there will be less than 10% gas in it
As goes your question of B rated vs A rated .. I had answered this , in that A rated requires Low Iron Glass ( commonly called diamant) , B rated does not include Low Iron....that is the ONLY difference in the make up of the sealed unit , and is indeed to do with the G Value... aka solar gain. You will find most installers will use A rated ( or equivalent) as standard... well we certainly do , as the actual cost difference isn't huge

Do not confuse Low e glass with Low Iron they are different types of glass. All sealed units in windows that conform to current building regulations must have Low e glass and Argon MINIMUM , and this would be considered a C Rated ( or u value equivalent of 1.6 )

Yep that's absolutely it... and don't me started on stupid changes to building regulations.... especially trickle vents lol. I honestly get where some of the fees and building regs come it to it but some of it is complete nonsense and it could.all be changing again in 2025 ( albeit at present it does look like the window industry is getting off lightly!)

Ouch! Shame you feel that way but over 1200 thanks must mean most people i've helped here don't think I post crap
Many thanks for being nice when I was not, I honestly thought you must be speaking crap for the fun of it but I owe you an apology.
It seems if anything is crap it is the DG we are being sold, if the gas does indeed leak from the unit in as little as 4 years the whole industry is misleading the public just like electric cars over range and battery life. Well in my case this time around I am replacing 30 year old units so at least it will be better for a short time. The last two times I bought DG I stayed in the respective houses 12 & 8 years and did not notice any degradation but then it would be very slow right and you don't notice anything until they are badly leaking resulting in internal condensation.
What we the consumer need is an instant cheap pointy U value measuring tool :D perhaps a similar instant pointy tool for using against salesmen with forked tongues too hahaha

As a consumer you'd never notice if the argon gas had leaked out unless you invested in a spark tester...your average installer wouldn't notice either . I agree it's misleading but I don't hide the fact if people ask me, in fact I'm very upfront about it. Another funfact.... average life of a sealed unit is 10-15 years...admittedly some last longer and some shorter , lots of variables as to why

It's probably much too late now but I think the information you wish to know would have been on a peelable, sticky cable on each of the glazing units. Those labels would also inform which side should be on the inside.

It's probably much too late now but I think the information you wish to know would have been on a peelable, sticky cable on each of the glazing units. Those labels would also inform which side should be on the inside.
Unknown to me my clever wife took a photo of exactly that label! I only found out after going around in circles for days if not weeks!
I should have asked her in the first place lols

Anyway next time I will be armed (with camera) & ready!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back