Decorating Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all was looking for some advice, I currently live in a privatly rented flat and I want to decorate the bathroom so I need some advice, help and inspiration. The walls currently suffer from damp I painted the walls only three weeks ago and the paint as already started to bubble and peel, so I was thinking if I tiled half of the bathroom and put wooden cladding up on the other half then this would cover the damp, would this be ok, can anyone recommend what tiles I should use I have never done anything like this before and dont want to spend too much because I am currently only renting.

Sponsored Links
I take it there are tiles around the bath? Where is the paint bubbling? What was the surface you painted on to? What paint did you use? More information needed here.

gcol said:
I take it there are tiles around the bath? Where is the paint bubbling? What was the surface you painted on to? What paint did you use? More information needed here.

The are two rows of tiles around the bath, and the paint is bubbling above the tiles, I am not sure what the paint was, some we got from B&Q

Sponsored Links
Seeing that you renting then obviously you dont want spend a fortune fixing it. Therefore, a quick fix is to coat any damp surface with Thompson’s One Coat Damp Sea, it is a high performance interior coating which permanently covers damp stains in just one coat. It allows trapped moisture to evaporate over time to prevent paint flaking or wallpaper peeling off. Ensure all surfaces are clean and free from dust and any loose material. Mask any polystyrene or plastic surfaces before treatment. Although Thompson’s One Coat Damp Seal will adhere to damp surfaces, ensure the surface is not saturated. Remove surrounding wallpaper and any loose paint. If mould is present treat with a proprietary fungicidal wash. Repair any holes, cracks and surface imperfections, and sand down any rough areas. Avoid inhalation of dust, where suitable face mask when sanding. Allow any new plaster to dry for 7 days prior to application. Under normal conditions allow 4 hours before painting or wallpapering over. In cold conditions dry times will be significantly extended. Though remember this does not fix the damp cause.

Third_Eye said:
Seeing that you renting then obviously you dont want spend a fortune fixing it. Therefore, a quick fix is to coat any damp surface with Thompson’s One Coat Damp Sea, it is a high performance interior coating which permanently covers damp stains in just one coat. It allows trapped moisture to evaporate over time to prevent paint flaking or wallpaper peeling off. Ensure all surfaces are clean and free from dust and any loose material. Mask any polystyrene or plastic surfaces before treatment. Although Thompson’s One Coat Damp Seal will adhere to damp surfaces, ensure the surface is not saturated. Remove surrounding wallpaper and any loose paint. If mould is present treat with a proprietary fungicidal wash. Repair any holes, cracks and surface imperfections, and sand down any rough areas. Avoid inhalation of dust, where suitable face mask when sanding. Allow any new plaster to dry for 7 days prior to application. Under normal conditions allow 4 hours before painting or wallpapering over. In cold conditions dry times will be significantly extended. Though remember this does not fix the damp cause.

Cheers for that mate never heard of Thompson’s One Coat Damp Sea before

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back