decorating behind radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. first time for me using this site,so hope mite get some good advice. DONT want to take off radiator to decorate as believe have to at least part drain down system(and me and plumbing dont get on,had few accidents) but when trying to scrape off old paper behind rads,can never find anything to get in far behind rad and also difficult to get smooth finish from where have managed to get paper off behind rad. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi mijo and wellcome,

if there is movement in the pipes it has been known for us to slacken the valve nuts and drop the rad down onto the floor, tighten up and away you go. Considering what you want to do ie strip paper and presumably fill/sand then I am afraid you have no option, you gotta take it of. Sorry.

I agree with DSD...I have to teach this as part of ICA/'NVQ's...the first thing I tell the trainees...'dont get involved' get a plumber out, I have done jobs for people, offer to drop the rads for them in order to paper behind.

Getting em off is easy..the trouble starts when your putting them back..leaky valves, you might snap the valve off, ruin the olive, or get an air lock int he system when you refil it.

You try and save the customer a few quid and run the risk of costing yourself a fair bit of money in the process.

Leave it to the experts.

I agree with DSD...I have to teach this as part of ICA/'NVQ's...the first thing I tell the trainees...'dont get involved' get a plumber out, I have done jobs for people, offer to drop the rads for them in order to paper behind.

Getting em off is easy..the trouble starts when your putting them back..leaky valves, you might snap the valve off, ruin the olive, or get an air lock int he system when you refil it.

You try and save the customer a few quid and run the risk of costing yourself a fair bit of money in the process.

Leave it to the experts.

So very true Zamps as I found to my cost. :evil:

Thought I was doing them a favour, and it was only a little rad, took it off no problem, everything went well, stripped behind, papered and put rad back on, worked okay.
The man never said a word to me about any problems, so when I finished the job and had my hand out for my payment, he then turned round and said, he will deduct X amount, I cant remember how much it was, as this happened a good few years ago.
I asked him why, he said he had to get someone in to sort the pressure out in the boiler, I asked why he never mentioned it to me as I would have got someone in if need be, he didnt really give me an answer.

He was a big man, so I took my money, did a little detour, as I had left something upstairs, then came down and ran like hell. ;) ;)

I have never taken a Rad off since, not for customers anyway.

Sponsored Links
hi. first time for me using this site,so hope mite get some good advice. DONT want to take off radiator to decorate as believe have to at least part drain down system(and me and plumbing dont get on,had few accidents) but when trying to scrape off old paper behind rads,can never find anything to get in far behind rad and also difficult to get smooth finish from where have managed to get paper off behind rad. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks

It is difficult to try and strip behind rads, have you tried using a long handled scraper?, or put some polythene under the rad for any water, and try and soak the paper, if you keep soaking it, you should be able to get a good bit off.

Are you putting paper back on?

If you go down the route of having the rad off, whilst you decorate, put foil insulation on & decorate down to that then you never need to get the rad off again

Just had the very same problem... managed to lift the rad off slightly,and while hubby held the rad,i managed to get the paper off quickly. All is well. Good luck whatever you do.

Don't touch plumbing full stop!

I have seen decorators lifting radiator off top bracket, leaving the bottom lugs hooked on, then tying off the top lugs to the bracket with cord leaving the radiator at about 15 degrees to wall - wouldn't touch it myself though. I've got a tame plumber who pops in and shifts radiators for a very small fee which is easily absorbed in the bill.

Generally get by with long handled scraper but you need a good finish to get a decent key otherwise it can play havoc with your paper once the heat is back on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back