Filler on top of lining paper ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got somebody in decorating a bedroom; something I would normally DIY but time is a bit short. The job consists of removing old wallpaper, putting up lining paper and finishing with emulsion. There were some bad cracks in the plaster behind the old paper which he said he would fill, and so he has but --

The lining paper is all done now (just finished today) and there are some quite large areas of filler on top of it. :confused: :confused: :confused: Now I've done a lot of decorating over the years but I've never used lining paper before. Is it normal practice to use filler on top?

I've searched back through old posts and found lots of comments about filling joints between strips but this filling isn't anywhere near the joints. I get the impression that it's been done to smooth out imperfections that really should have been fixed before the paper went on.

The real question is, does this work? If the finished job looks right then maybe it doesn't matter but I don't want to find filler crumbling off the walls a year later. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
should have been prep prior to the paper going up but sometimes you miss the obvious :oops: looking down the wall hes seen an imperfection and put it right. Like the seam filling that some do, it will be fine once its all painted. If there is any doubt in your mind bring it up with the deccy.

Yep agree there. You say lots of imperfections, so one or two get missed. Maybe left on purpose to gauge what it looks like, But filler on lining no prob. He sounds like a proper decci:cool:
leaving gaps on pupose to fill up later :eek: what a waste of time..
Ok if a butt has shrunk a little fill that yeah.

Good luck

Feel like starting it up again:cool:

filling gaps in lining paper??? I agree total waste of time do it properly and no need to fill the seams :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :evil:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back