Decorating: Is mould or damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in he middle of decorating and am not sure what paint to buy. Ronseal looks best for damp and mould, but I'm not actually sure which I have in my spare room. I instantly thought mould but now I'm thinking damp, even though it goes across the ceiling too. Worst affected area is around the windows, whis now causing a lot of furniture in the room to turn mouldy/damp.

And to stop it, do I put a coat of anti-mould/damp paint and then a coat of emulsion? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have attached some pictures of the worst affected areas.
IMG_3280.JPG
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3284.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG

Kindest regards,

Jessie

Sponsored Links
It rather looks to me like the room has not been in use for ages, windows kept closed, radiator turned off, lack of air circulation.
Exterior, Tree or bushes up against the window does not help either.
First job is to strip off the old woodchip wallpaper.

It rather looks to me like the room has not been in use for ages, windows kept closed, radiator turned off, lack of air circulation.
Exterior, Tree or bushes up against the window does not help either.
First job is to strip off the old woodchip wallpaper.

Hi Bosswhite, thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Yeah, the room hasn't been used for a while and is the only room in the house like it; possibly due to not opening the windows - I've now opened them and hope this helps. I will also have a go at getting rid of the overgrown bush in the garden. Any tips for stripping wallpaper? Wouldn't even know where to start!

Sponsored Links
Buy or hire a steamer wallpaper stripper depending on how much you have to do, you can pick up a basic one in any DIY store. It just uses an element to boil water like a kettle to create constant steam with a hose and a flat plate to hold against the wall, scoring the woodchip if its been painted will help. then use a flat blade steel paper scraper to strip the paper off. Keep the room well ventilated as it can get like a suana. hot work but you'll have that lot off in no time. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back