Decorator Needs Advice On Radiator Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I have to remove a radiator from a wall in a customer's property, I usually just turn off the valves, drain the rad and undo the nut between the valve and rad.

I have been told that I can get into trouble by leaving radiators removed (sometimes for days on end) when they have thermostatic valves fitted. Apparently there is a chance that the thermo. valve can open, and the water leaking out from the system.

Is there a way to properly seal a thermo. valve, can I buy something to do this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Easiest thing to do is ask the customer if they have any decorators caps for the TRV.

If they have, remove the valve head and screw this down onto the valve. Then drain and remove the rad.

It is very unlikely that a TRV will let by when shut off, but it has happened, especially if near a door or window in mid winter.

Otherwise a 1/2" female cap should fit nicely on the valve thread.

when the valve is new it comes with a cap for doing this, which needs to be fitted to close the valve fully before you remove the rad, if you try to fit it after you have removed the rad you will get wet! if not available i remove the tail from the rad and refit to valve and fit a 1/2" female brass cap with PTFE on the end, depending on type of valve you may need a 1/2" allan key to remove the rad tail, you should never leave a trv valve head on a pipe with no rad as it could pass if the temp drops, some close right down and some have a frost setting which close the rad UNTIL the temp drops then lets some water through to save freezing

Many thanks for the replies.

As its likely that a lot of customers will have lost their deocrators caps, can I buy a universal type, or a set to fit most types of thermostatic valves?

Alternatively, is there a fitting that will fit directly onto the open end of the valve, without needing to remove the rad. tail?

Sponsored Links
As dave has said if decorator caps not there use either a half inch cap or on some occasions you may need a 3/4 cap no need to take the tail out

Dave have you ever seen a male cap ;) :LOL:

Only on the teenage tw*ts roaming the streets round here :LOL:

I've never come across a TRV that has a 3/4" thread though :confused:

decorator's cap is best solution; that is why they are called: decorator's cap
I have actually seen male caps, they are usually sold as: compression fit end stops.
:)
All jokes aside, if you can't get the tail out, or can't be bothered to get the tail out; a blanking plate and a compression fit nut are a good alternative.

Only ever seen them in offices dave.
Always remember an old foreman of ours many years ago took rad off in december woke up next morning and down stairs was inch deep in water but temp had risen and valve had closed off. He is left standing there scratching his head think WTF has happened here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back