radiators valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright guys,

I need to replace a radiator valve, but the problem is the piepework and the radiator valve have been completely painted over.
Can you offer any advice on the best way to remove the paint from the radiator valve?

I will not be able to remove the old rad valves nut and olive, so i will need to use them for the new rad valve.
Do you think i will have any problems with with leaks once i undo the painted rad valve (or remove the paint)?

Any advice you can give me would be great.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what size of pipe/valve is on it? have reducers been used?

can be dangerous game for the novice to be messing about with. ive been called out twice this week for numpty's with spanners and new trv's.

the paint should crack off once you turn the nut.

The pipework is 15mm and the valve is a standard chrome radiator valve. There is no reducers and the valve is connected to the pipework just above an elbow so the valve nut and olive cant be removed. Also the rad valve tail (the part of the valve which screws into the radiator) is also painted.

I have fitted and replaced a couple of radiators in the past, but they were straight forward jobs, no paint etc. My main worry is some leak where i will have to replace pipework or worse still the radiator (assumeing the painted rad valve tail causes a leak when disturbed).

Like you say it can be a dangerous game, and although i am not a novice i am not a central heating engineer or hugely experienced.

Any advice you can offer would be fantastic.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back