Radiator corner valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I am running copper pipes, to install 3x radiators. My wife wants pipework coming horizontally out of the wall, so I have purchased corner valves (in anthracite) to go with the new rads.

This is giving me a bit of a headache! I have chased 15mm pipework into the walls to allow for a horizontal connection to the valve, and I was planning to mortar in and secure all these pipes in with the radiator in situ so the pipe ends up in the correct place.

My problem is once I have done this, I’m going to need to remove the radiator so that plastering, skirting, painting can be done. I cannot see how I’ll be able to reconnect the radiator once the pipework is rigidly fixed in place, because of the way the radiator sits on the bracket, and the way in which the pipework needs to attach to the corner valves.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

Many thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
The radiator valve has (unless you've bought a 'Chinese special') an almost flat union to connect to the radiator tail. With everything in place you should be able to undo the backnut holding the valve to the tail and lift the radiator off the wall.

The pipework in the wall should be protected from attack by the mortar (or plaster) and you should also allow for the expansion & contraction of the pipework or you risk the plaster cracking.

51BDABFD-F883-469F-8715-D2BE37B85ACE.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. The tail is essentially 15mm pipe, and the valve doesn’t disassemble. Therefore there isn’t a flat connection, and the valve has to slide over the tail pipe. A Chinese special as you Say?

Sponsored Links
I’d gladly buy a new valve if I could be sure I’m just not going to have the same problem. It’s difficult to see online if the connection is flat , or requires sliding the valve over the connection.

99% of trvs use that connection you have, unfortunately there is no easy way of getting the valve on and off when the pipes come out the wall like that.

In this instance you'll need angled valves and a long street elbow to pop up into the bottom of the valve... Still looks neat as :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back