Defective new taps, or pressure too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new ceramic mono mixer basin tap in the bathroom. The cold supply is mains fed, and tap slowly dripped when fully off.

When I isolated the cold supply the drip stopped, so the tank fed hot water at low pressure wasn't the cause, it's the mains pressure cold that is doing it..

I replaced it and the new one is just the same. Have I just been unlucky and got two defective taps, is this common?

Sponsored Links
Do the manufactures give the maximum working pressure for the taps? Cold pressure too high?

They only give a minimum of 0.5bar, and recommend 1bar, but don't give a maximum.

Location is the east midlands, never had problems with the water pressure being high.

Sounds like a faulty cartridge is fitted or something flushed into it. Try swapping Hot and cold connections if you can. That may identify if it is a bad tap if cold supply holds connected to the tap hot inlet.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you are right, faulty cartridge. Thanks for the suggestion.

Swapping hot and cold over, and the cold tap position still doesn't hold when fed low pressure, yet the high holds on the tap hot position.

So not down to pressure, the cold tap position fails whatever the supply, indeed a second faulty tap.

I'll get another replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back