New tap for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought a cheap tap last year to put in my kitchen (I know buy cheap buy twice). The tap started leaking and despite putting on ptfe tape and washers it is still spraying out water when the cold tap is running too fast.
My system is a gravity fed system but the kitchen tap is mains pressured for the cold supply.
The kitchen tap I bought was suitable for a low pressure system. I’m wondering if the mains supply is too much for the tap and that’s why it is leaking. Can you use a low pressure tap on a cold mains supply without turning the pressure down?

otherwise can anyone recommend a good tap that is suitable for a gravity fed hot water supply and a mains pressure cold tap?

thank you,

Richard

Sponsored Links
If its low pressure, the seals probably can't withstand the cold mains, although they should as most kitchen mixers will be on cold mains. What pressure is your cold main? Might be too much for other brands.
Get that checked first. Consider a PRV if it's above 3bar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
It is leaking where the bottom of the spout joins the body. It’s probably because it is cheap any recommendations for a decent tap?

I’m not sure on the pressure...it’s quite powerful. Perhaps I can turn down the isolation valve...

New o rings? If you've tried them. Get e new tap but check your mains pressure and see if it suits new taps specs.

It is leaking where the bottom of the spout joins the body. It’s probably because it is cheap any recommendations for a decent tap?

I’m not sure on the pressure...it’s quite powerful. Perhaps I can turn down the isolation valve...

Bristan, grohe, blanco any long serving brand.
Restricting isolator won't reduce pressure... Only flow!

I’ll have a look at screw fix and get something that’s better quality. I think that tap was only about £30. I have tried new o rings...sadly ☹️

Thank you for all your help

I’ve just bought one of these
GROHE AMBI DUAL-LEVER MONO MIXER KITCHEN TAP CHROME

They seem to get great reviews and I like the look of them. Thank you again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back