Low Pressure Kitchen Mixer Tap ?

25 Oct 2020
Reaction score
united kingdom
United Kingdom
My wife wants a better tap in the kitchen, one with a single lever mixer, but everything I have read say that we need more hot water pressure.
My house has gravity fed hot water (tanks in loft) and I measure 0.5 bar at the kitchen tap. Mains cold water is about 3 bar at the same tap.
Is it possible to get a single-lever mixer kitchen tap for low hot water pressure & mains fed cold water systems?

Sponsored Links
You will also have to balance the hot and cold supplies, a mono mixer will struggle with such a disparity between hot and cold
Sponsored Links
Thanks. So, if it's not possible to install a single-lever mixer tap with only 0.5bar on the hot side, what are our options for boosting the water pressure? I don't want to go through the huge cost of converting our whole house hot water system to main pressure. Are there any small (super quiet) pumps that could be put under the sink? Or an accumulator tank? Or take a feed from the cold mains and heat the hot water side on demand with electricity ?
Appreciate your thoughts please.
Could you not fit a pressure reducer on the cold side to fix the disparity? Sure can get get ones to reduce to 1 bar
The easiest way was the old way, 2 separate taps or a dual flow tap.

You do get some better ones these days - one from SMEG - Pisa - which I particularly like, Franke have a few too ..... not the cheapest though but I've found there pretty good quality
My partner is persistent in desiring a single lever mixer tap. What do you think of a Pump? Something like a Salamander iBoost pump installed under the sink on the hot feed. Is that a really bad idea?
Adding a pump just for a single tap is a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut. A pressure reducing valve on the cold would be the easiest way but then that's reducing the cold water to a similar pressure as the hot, that and the tap type that is inherently restrictive and more suited to mains water pressure systems.

Sometimes SWMBO has to be told that something that's wanted isn't going to work without significant changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links