Degloss coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

The, coving in my hallway and landing is a nasty shiny cream gloss. If I want this to be a matt white how should I go about deglossing it so the matt has something to adhere to?

I'm pretty sure it's polystyrene coving in most places and one plaster coving so I need to deal with both.

I considered a light sand, as you'd do on wood, but thought that could be a disaster. I have polycell liquid sandpaper, still unopened, but thought the chemicals may melt it!

Advice much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could use something like the Owatrol ESP

http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/esp-easy-surface-prep/

You wipe on, wipe off.

Let it dry, then paint over it.

Mind you, oil based undercoat or waterbased primer will probably suffice (and be cheaper). They might be less chip resistant, but how often do you bash coving? Matt emulsion would probably be ok. I have only seen it crack when humidity levels have been very high (eg bathrooms)

I'd hope bashing coving would be very rare - perhaps carelessly moving a ladder but I struggle to think of other examples.

Could you give an example of a half decent water based primer I could get from say B&Q or something? - I'm thinking I'd put Dulux Trade Supermatt over this (and the new plaster once mist coated).

I'd hope bashing coving would be very rare - perhaps carelessly moving a ladder but I struggle to think of other examples.

Could you give an example of a half decent water based primer I could get from say B&Q or something? - I'm thinking I'd put Dulux Trade Supermatt over this (and the new plaster once mist coated).

It doesn't need to be particularly good acrylic primer. I use the Leyland stuff because it is easy to sand. Toolstation sell it

Sponsored Links
Get some med grad wire wool, roll into golf balls. Each roll will key 2m or so, rotate ball every 200mm section or so.

A decent trade emulsion will happily stick, no prime needed.

Thanks for that tip, I'm guessing that like keying gloss with sand paper you'll feel a (probably subtle) texture change to know you've rubbed it enough with the wool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back