Dehumidifier problem - cooling coils not getting cold enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old B&Q Enviro-Dry Extra that was bought from B&Q about 15 or so years ago. Recently I've noticed that very little water is accumulating in the collection tank and I think that's because the cooling coils aren't getting as cold as they should to - at least to the touch they are just cool as opposed to cold.

What is the most likely cause of this? Can it be fixed or am I going to have to invest in a new dehumidifier?

Sponsored Links
If you can hear the compressor motor running from time to time as well as the fan, I would imagine the dehumidifier is low on refrigerant gas or a temperature sensor inside the machine.....the cooling elements are made ice cold, then moist air condenses on them producing ice. After a while the compressor switches off, the temperature of the cooling coils rises, and the ice turns to water which runs into the collecting tank. Low refrigerant gas means the coils don't cool enough.
John :)

Thanks for your reply. The compressor is running just fine - how would I go about topping up the refrigerant gas. :)

Ideally, take the machine to a firm that repairs refrigerators.....the gas shouldn't be released into the atmosphere. I've no idea if it will prove viable though if you can get a new machine for just over the ton.

Sponsored Links
Okay, was just hoping that I could do it myself to save dumping it.

I'll have a look around for a replacement, are there any makes that are particularly reliable?

I've bought three of Screwfix' 72503 for various people. Although the receiving tank is only 4 litre it has a continuous drain facility that you can rig. Only £80!
I have to say, don't expect anything near the recommended extraction in the winter, but in the summer they can perform very well.
These units are basic enough and should be perfectly reliable....I have one running for 4 years but their life expectancy is much longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back