DEHUMIDIFIER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,some help needed please, we live in a bungalow our small bedroom has 2 outside walls and every winter we get mould & mildew on the outside walls, mainly on the wallpaper just above the skirting boards ( this even gets wet ) we have had the dampcourse injected just incase, I have put polystyrene on both these walls before papering, but winters back and so are the problems, I have had the floorboards up to check for water leaks and damp but everything is OK, we have an air brick in there and have even had the window open to circulate the air to where the room is like a fridge, so I am now looking to getting a DEHUMIDIFIER but will this help,their write ups suggest it will, help please REG

Sponsored Links
What is the condition of the outside walls.....is the pointing good, or if its stone could there be any porosity? Has this room been a garage in a previous life, without a wall cavity?
Just a couple of things to check....dehumidifiers work well, but only if the ambient temperature inside is 10 deg c or higher.
John :)

Sponsored Links
What is the condition of the outside walls.....is the pointing good, or if its stone could there be any porosity? Has this room been a garage in a previous life, without a wall cavity?
Just a couple of things to check....dehumidifiers work well, but only if the ambient temperature inside is 10 deg c or higher.
Hi Burnerman, the walls are solid, no cavity, and rendered and seem to be in good condition, no damp under the floorboards, plus I fitted a radiator under the window of one outside wall and a radiator on the other outside wall, its also always been a bedroom, one thing with the fuel prices as they are the cental heating is not on as much as I would like. I was thinking of treating the outside of the walls with waterproof liquid come summer, ( if we get one )

Most likely to be just condensation, do a search on controlling condensation, the most common problem are the bed being too close to the wall causing pocket condensation trap, you will need more ventilation.

Most likely to be just condensation, do a search on controlling condensation, the most common problem are the bed being too close to the wall causing pocket condensation trap, you will need more ventilation.
Hi masona, thanks for your help I have just been to a controlling condensation site, some good ideas but can get a bit complicated, no furniture near the outside walls, bit of a pain as the room is only 7 foot by 10 so only able to place items against 2 walls, Thanks REG

Do you have mechanical ventilation of both bathroom and kitchen?
Hi foxhole air vent in bathroom and about to fit cooker vent outlet in kitchen, one other thing we have had a multi fuel stove fitted about 2 years ago REG

Presumably we are talking about rendered brick or stone then....its vital to ensure that the level of any soil / garden outside is as low as it can be, and that no water can splash up from any hard standing, etc.
I too think the problem is largely condensation but if you are concerned about any potential porosity of the wall then an application of a Water Seal product does no harm.

Presumably we are talking about rendered brick or stone then....its vital to ensure that the level of any soil / garden outside is as low as it can be, and that no water can splash up from any hard standing, etc.
I too think the problem is largely condensation but if you are concerned about any potential porosity of the wall then an application of a Water Seal product does no harm.
Hi "Burnerman" yes rendered brick, no problem with soil hard standing outside but a good idea about splash up as this only happens in the winter, summer when we get one its fine. But I also feel your right condensation, but I will treat the render outside come summer with a Water Seal, thanks REG

I cured a damp problem in the past with paint, the punter wanted his render hacked off and re rendered, the render on inspection was sound, so as it had never been painted the 1st coat was watered down 1 part water 5 parts paint, then followed with two coats of paint.

I did the job 2005 and has remained dry, although not a lot of difference between Dulux and Sandtex i think Dulux is the better and the trade that can be coloured to order is better still.

I cured a damp problem in the past with paint, the punter wanted his render hacked off and re rendered, the render on inspection was sound, so as it had never been painted the 1st coat was watered down 1 part water 5 parts paint, then followed with two coats of paint.

I did the job 2005 and has remained dry, although not a lot of difference between Dulux and Sandtex i think Dulux is the better and the trade that can be coloured to order is better still.
Hi pred, thanks for your input, makes sense watered down paint sinks into the surface, I have always used it straight from the can so it must then go on like a skin. Do you think it is to late to try some watered down paint or is it worth a try? Thanks REG

Reg, you could have a desk fan on its lowest setting pushing air around the room/ on the 'faulty' wall. It's not a final solution but would help for now.

Andy

Reg, you could have a desk fan on its lowest setting pushing air around the room/ on the 'faulty' wall. It's not a final solution but would help for now.

Andy
Hi Andy, thanks yep yet another good idea, keep them coming in, REG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back