Dehumidifiers

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I am looking at dehumidifiers as I read they are very good at extracting damp from inside houses.

I have a 5 bed bungalow with new pvc double glazed windows but still get condensation in the mornings all be it around the bottom of the glass.

Would anyone have any experience of using dehumidifiers and any recommendations for my house size?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are good if you go for a decent brand one but the best way to reduce condensation is through natural ventilation.
Do your windows have trickle vents fitted? If so, set them on open during the night when you are in bed. This should help to reduce the amount of condensation.

No trickle vents but have windows open 30 mins during the day to ventilate.

Have tried to have the window openings in locked slightly open position still condensation.

Cure the causes of condensation and you wont need to buy 7 or 8 dehumidifiers. A single dehumidifier might extract the moisture from 1 room but it isn't going to cover the whole of a 5 bedroom bungalow.

As suggested above, ventilate.

If you dry washing in the house, stop, dry it outside or use a tumble dryer.

After showering open windows in the bathroom unless you have a powerful extractor fan.

When cooking cover pots and use the extractor fan/cooker hoods.

If you cant get enough ventilation by opening windows and using extractor fans consider a Positive Input Ventilation system installed in the hall ceiling which would provide cool fresh air to all rooms that open off the hall.

Sponsored Links
Have tried all above and have a PIV installed Drimaster heat one which I find very cold in the hall this time of year

If the PIV isn't curing the condensation then a dehumidifier isn't going to either. The PIV would be expected to make the air in the hall feel cool at this time of year but shouldn't have any effect on the temperature of the other rooms. Is the fan on the PIV running fast enough? I would expect it to be on 5 or 6 in a 5 bedroom bungalow. It needs to run 24 hours a day, every day.

The water which is condensing on the windows must be coming from somewhere, do you have a leaking pipe or leaking roof?

Nothing leaking at all, I have installed inline extractor fans 184m3/h so good extraction rate.

I have my PIV on setting 4 might notch it up a little to 5 see how that goes, and yes it's in 24hrs per day only knocks off over summer when temp goes above 25+ or something

Another thing with the PIV unit, it states not to open windows at all but how does it push the stale air out ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back