Dell Power Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, ha !! Not so del(l)icious after all !!

Given the demise of AdamW's Power Supply, just thought I would run a quick availability check for the Dell XPS---- oooer ! Proprietry ATX board, connections from PS to Mo-bo not standard, twin plug / sockets, even worse the 'standard' PS single plug would fit on the 20 pin socket, apparently frying stuff upon switch-on !!

Found this :-
Dell Power Supply Adapter (Dell to ATX Power Supply Converter)
dellconverter.jpg

The above shot shows the problem sockets in the lower pix.
Upper right shows the cable required to convert an ATX stnd PS to suite Dell Mo-Bo.
Upper left, that cable fitted to Dell proprietry Mo-Bo.

Only able to Google one supplier of 'quiet' compatible PSU -- The R-R of PS suppliers ? http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm This offers an upgrade to the dell spec PSU .. with correct wiring.
Do, Pc Power and cooling Inc, have a UK supplier ?
Does anyone in UK make Dell proprietry, compatible, upgrade (or stnd) Power Supplies ?

When time comes for new PC, I shall enquire from Dell if they can / will supply a machine which complies to current standards and therefore becomes upgradable without being tied to Dell parts ...
Could be the end of a good relationship !!
P

Sponsored Links
Ok, now have the cable converter from Vancouver ... ordered on the 25th Jan arrived 4th Feb. .. pretty good. exchange rate $1.8105.
£12.50 inc P&P etc.
Of course I now know the pinouts to enable connection of non-Dell PSU to Dell proprietry ATX Mobo with 20 + 6 plugs as opposed to standard ATX 20 pin plug..
I wonder how many Dells of that type have been bu##ered through attempting to fit a standard ATX PSU upgrade or replacement ?
Ho hum ! Life goes on.
P

Sorry for the late reply, just noticed it!

Dell are notorious for proprietary stuff in their computers, however they are not alone. Most of the large computer companies put their own BIOS on their machines for no better reason than to have a boot screen that says "DELL", or "IBM" etc when you turn it on :LOL:

By the way, the PSU blowing up claimed another victim this week: the router finally totally forgot how to speak "internet" so I've had to by another one. No big loss, it looked ugly. Plus the new one has wireless AND wired so if one of my mates comes round with a laptop they can hook straight in.

Sponsored Links
Back