Deposits on window inside sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen window is DG, well sealed when closed and the cill is tiled. Suddenly, beginning a few months ago, we began to get very fine bits of sand coloured grit appear scattered on the cill tiles. There is no obvious source above the window, it appears mostly in the middle, the only opening windows are at each side, with a large centre none opening window. This is also where the sink is. Apart from the tiles at the bottom, the window lining is painted wood, white, clean and no gaps or damage.

I'm stumped as to what it is, but it's not ants :)

Sponsored Links
Our kitchen window is DG, well sealed when closed and the cill is tiled. Suddenly, beginning a few months ago, we began to get very fine bits of sand coloured grit appear scattered on the cill tiles. There is no obvious source above the window, it appears mostly in the middle, the only opening windows are at each side, with a large centre none opening window. This is also where the sink is. Apart from the tiles at the bottom, the window lining is painted wood, white, clean and no gaps or damage.

I'm stumped as to what it is, but it's not ants :)
Trickle vents?

Sponsored Links
Check externally for masonry Bees.

Check visually on a sunny, windless day if you've got them there's no mistaking by their coming and going.

I've had the same situation fine dust ....masonry Bees in my case.

Multiple small holes ........

I've had the same situation fine dust ....masonry Bees in my case.

Multiple small holes ........

There is no sign of anything above the cill, the wooden lining was freshly painted a couple of years ago and there are no signs of any disturbance at all.

The Bees are outside ! Nothing to see inside.

Nice sunny day if you've got them you'll see them.

I got dust even when the windows were closed....probably through the tricke vents.

The Bees are outside ! Nothing to see inside.

Nice sunny day if you've got them you'll see them.

I got dust even when the windows were closed....probably through the tricke vents.

Well I have read up on them, but I just cannot see how the dust can get in from outside, it began when it was too cold to open the windows and we don't have the normal trickle vents - our windows have a part open setting instead. They open and can be latched with the handle, with a gap of around 6mm. Closed, they completely seal.

I will take a look outside though for holes in the pointing.

Sponsored Links
Back