Depth of hardcore for patio base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can you advise what the minimum depth of hardcore I can get away with would be. Patio will only have foot traffic.

I'm trying to keep to a minimum as I don't have access to my garden so I'm having to carry it by hand through the house, so trying to reduce the strain

thanks

Sponsored Links
It has to be at least twice the depth of the largest particle. In the mot mix I think. Probably 75mm.

Depends on the ground, if it's pretty solid because there has been a patio before and you're putting down council slabs then you can get away with next to nothing, just the bedding/laying course.
However if you've dug out a load of shrubs and it's full of soft patches and you're putting down thin 20mm sandstone you'd need to scrape them all off and lay a decent layer of hardcore to make up the level, at least 75mm as above. Then whack it down with a proper machine.
We did 75mm on the ex- lawn area, and whatever we need to make up the level on the ex-concrete drive area if any. So far it's going ok! But we will find out any issue in future.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back