Depth Of Sub Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm going to do a 3.6m x 3.6m patio, I'll be using, new paving, but nothing fancy just plain 600mm x 50mm, with a mortar base of 40mm.

So what depth should my sub base be, I'm reading that the standard should be 75mm, just wondering though could I get away with 50mm, it isn't soft soil, and fairly untouched, apart from me digging out the weeds, there's
lots of stones all sizes in the soil as well so I'm going to separate them and use as part of the sub base, though I will use proper mot type 1 as well, just trying to save on sub base if I can maybe squeeze by with just a tonne, or would the stones I have not mix well with the mot type 1, none are larger than roughly 40mm, and I would toss any bigger ones, eg wouldn't compact the same, or is a stone a stone lol,Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had a 4.5x3.5m shed to put up I worked out that as it was a free draining soil I could make it easier to do the base with a bunch of 1m deep piers using a 6" auger, I needed about 17 or so holes, but instead of 6 tonnes of base, I only needed to mix 1 tonne or so of piers. The reason for deep piers is to go below any potential frost line in a cold winter.

I then used composite beams under the bearer timbers to help keep it dry -- be warned they chew through jigsaw blades with melting the plastic and the aluminium fragments in them. But much lighter and quicker to lay.

I had a 4.5x3.5m shed to put up I worked out that as it was a free draining soil I could make it easier to do the base with a bunch of 1m deep piers using a 6" auger, I needed about 17 or so holes, but instead of 6 tonnes of base, I only needed to mix 1 tonne or so of piers. The reason for deep piers is to go below any potential frost line in a cold winter.

I then used composite beams under the bearer timbers to help keep it dry -- be warned they chew through jigsaw blades with melting the plastic and the aluminium fragments in them. But much lighter and quicker to lay.

Hi never heard of piers what is it, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but I'm not mixing concrete, it's a hardcore sub base for a patio

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back