Cheap way to compact sub-base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a shed base for a 6ft by 7ft 5' shed and I've done enough research to learn 50mm sub-base (MOT Type 1) followed by sharp sand / cement dry mix is the way to build a decent base. A lot of people talking about hiring wacker plates but my budge it too small to spend £35 a day on such a .. so wondering if anyone has any idea of cheaper ways to compact the sub-base?

B & Q has a video where they use a piece of timber and hit it with a rubber mallet to compact the base but they're using ballast, not sub-base so not sure if that will be any good with sub-base? That would be ideal as I have a rubber mallet and pieces of timber..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not tried it in that context. I suppose it will depend on how hard you whack it, how strong you are etc. Just try a bit and see if you can get it good and compacted in a sensible amount of time.

Also, if money is tight make sure you try local builders merchants for your materials (type 1, sand, cement etc). In my experience you can save a packet compared to the price of Wickes and the like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back