descale or new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
I have a Steldrad Ideal Sprint boiler (1990) that's started to overheat and shutdown. I've been told that it is probably scaled up by a local engineer. The boiler shuts down after the hot tap has been going for a short while (a minute or so), but I think the central heating side of things is okay.

The local guy quoted £250 and £650 for descaling both central heating and hot-tap side of things respectively (or maybe I got these the wrong way around.) He also said it's an old boiler...and I should think about getting a new one (he suggests an Alpha for £1350+VAT including labour)
I've been quoted £250 to descale the heat exchanger elsewhere.
Another place said it wouldn't be worth descaling - but that I need a new boiler.

Obviously, a new boiler is a lot of money. Can anyone else give me some advice as to which path you would take if you were in this position? i.e. is it pointless to descale such an old boiler?
:confused:

many thanks,
JJ

Sponsored Links
that sound a lot to do a one hour job, if you live in a hard water area then you should allso estimate for haveing some lime scale preventer fitted.

I'd be pleased to descale the heat exchanger for £100 and add this on to a boiler service at the same time. (Must put prices up :LOL: ). For the limescale preventer, don't touch the magnetic or electronic ones. There is no consistent sientific support for why the work, let alone if they work. Cistermiser make a siliphos unit called combimate. This has support from numerous boiler makers and, I understand, BG. It costs about £15 a year for siliphos spheres.

(I should think you could have a new heat ex. for less than £250)

thanks for the advice guys! :D

So it's beginningn to look like we might have hot water again soon...
Thanks for the offer oilman, where are you based? anywhere near E17?! and what's your availability like?

kind regards,
JJ

p.s. your profile has no email address...

Sponsored Links
I have had same problem on your model of boiler that you have several times a de scale will not always cure this and it often requires a new heatexchanger quite an old model now i would look at a new boiler we always recomend Worcester for combi and a scale reducer

Thanks for the offer oilman, where are you based? anywhere near E17?

Not near enough now my friend has moved from there :cry:

...... and what's your availability like?

Always available......

..... your profile has no email address...

That would compromise my anonymity :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back