Desk support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about a new desk setup. I'd like the Ikea Karlby tabletop and Alex drawer. Found an image online (below).

upload_2020-5-18_2-26-0.png

Like this picture I found, I'd like the Alex drawer far left and zero legs on the other side. Therefore would need some kind of L bracket instead.

My question is would the following L bracket work?
upload_2020-5-18_2-26-34.png

The measurements are:
Dimensions A / B / C / D / E / F:
- 380mm / 65mm / 130mm / 10mm / 6mm / 25mm
- 480mm / 65mm / 130mm / 10mm / 6mm / 25mm
- 580mm / 82mm / 170mm / 10mm / 6mm / 30mm

The Karlby desk measures 63.5cm deep and will be cut to 160cm in length (70cm high).

Would that bracket single 380mm one work, be enough support to hold up the other end? :)

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-18_2-25-3.png
    upload_2020-5-18_2-25-3.png
    673 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just use a wooden batten fixed to the right hand wall. If your still concerned run another batten across the back wall to share the load.

There actually is no other wall hence the l bracket :)

And I'd like the option of no support leg but floating and 100% stable.

Heres a quick mock of what I mean:
upload_2020-5-18_2-23-35.png

Is the right near edge supported enough? and should i got for a longer length, like the 480mm or 580mm?

Sponsored Links
You will probably regret doing it like that the first time someone sits on the end & it tips up because they break the bracket or pull the fixing screws out of the wall & scatter everything over the floor.

So I'm not sure why but have very little luck on this forum for valuable or useful advice, just straight up dooms day scenarios!

So, what I am asking is whether the bracket, which is rated for 150kg (another similar one for 500kg), will it be enough to support the desk, with few light weight items. And whether the 330mm (approx half length of tabletop depth) is enough or is a longer one needed?

There is no chance of someone sitting on it, because the desk will be located under a dormer eave and the space between the end of the desk and the eave/ceiling is about 12 inches.

There are options for 480 and 580mm (which extends close to the end of the desk). Heres a video of the 580mm for reference ->

The unsupported front right hand corner will bend with the slightest pressure on it. My desk is a heavy flat faced door, supported with a matching pair of filing cabinets at each side.

Last edited:
Are you fixing to brickwork or solid timber ?

Yes it will work but on the proviso of a solid wall

Brick :)

The unsupported front right hand corner will bend with the slightest pressure on it. My desk is a heavy flat faced door, supported with a matching pair of filing cabinets at each side.

So that is my concern, so is the 330mm long bracket (half desk depth) enough, or is longer 480mm/580mm (76% or 92% of tabletop depth respectively) is better, presumably yes but is it neccessary to go that long? And you see from my quick mock, the bracket will be inset away from desk edge by 10cm or so. This should make it pretty stable and solid. The tabletop height is 3.8cm its pretty hefty.

I would fix it with a batten across the whole length of the rear including behind the pedestal base unit.

That way it would be pretty hard for the top to fall down.

you still need your bracket on the right hand side.

The limiting factor on that type of bracket is the wall fixings not the bracket size, there wont be much difference in stability between the 2 brackets

The 480mm bracket has a slightly bigger wall plate which will help somewhat and its bigger section metal, Id go with that

So that is my concern, so is the 330mm long bracket (half desk depth) enough, or is longer 480mm/580mm (76% or 92% of tabletop depth respectively) is better, presumably yes but is it neccessary to go that long? And you see from my quick mock, the bracket will be inset away from desk edge by 10cm or so. This should make it pretty stable and solid. The tabletop height is 3.8cm its pretty hefty.

There nothing worse than a working surface which gives when you put any weight on it. Even with the longest brackets, there will be some give and springiness. It needs some sort of a solid member from under it at that corner, down to the floor.

Great! There is one small issue with that, and I know this is being finicky, but I want to have the desk about 2 inches away from the wall to allow for a LED light strip to go all the way around. And at that point mounting the tabletop away from the wall on wooden battens might defeat the purpose of rigidity AND the LED light wont disperese as well if there was an empty gap.

The wall plate of the 330 and 480 are the same, 165mm wide and 130mm high :)

Therefore I would hope that, as the length of the tabletop which is only 160cm, and 36cm rested on the Alex drawer, that leaves 124cm unsupported, that placing the L bracket at 150cm (10cm on the right leaving 114cm on the left) that the length is pretty short to prevent bowing and the L bracket is strong enough to hold it on its own (see mock above).

So will use 480mm L bracket with 10mm bolts into the brick and 5mmx30mm coach screw to secure the bracket to the tabletop, imagine that should stable enough..

There nothing worse than a working surface which gives when you put any weight on it. Even with the longest brackets, there will be some give and springiness. It needs some sort of a solid member from under it at that corner, down to the floor.

And you reckon a longer bracket that covers 70% of the depth isnt enough to avoid adding a leg?

And you reckon a longer bracket that covers 70% of the depth isnt enough?

As I already said, no. It will flex, it is bound to, the only part which will feel solid, is the back rear corner which is directly supported by the bracket. Brackets are fine for static loads, but the normal use of a desk is not a static load. It will not be a good surface to use as a desk, with it deflecting so easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back