Desk support

I see what you're saying.

I really really dont want a leg lol.

This is like my current desk:
upload_2020-5-18_13-20-23.png

What about adding like a large wood/ply sheet underneath the tabletop, that bracket is secured to. So bracket -> wood/ply sheet -> tabletop. The ply sheet could be 20mmx200mmx600mm (HxWxD). For added stability?? I dont know not an expert, which is why I'm asking :)

Sponsored Links
In our office we had benches (Seated 3-4 people)mounted on two brackets hanging off mdf structure, so ideally you need long bracket ( both down wall and outwards)to take the strain .

There is another L bracket that is rated for 500kg - is 580mm (92% of tabletop depth) and the bracket wall itself is 178mm tall:

upload_2020-5-18_17-34-51.png

Dimensions (A x B x C):
  • 330mm x 82mm x 134mm
  • 380mm x 82mm x 134mm
  • 480mm x 82mm x 152mm
  • 580mm x 82mm x 178mm

Sponsored Links
Folding is rated at 500kg, non folding (on page 1 of this thread) is rated at 150kg.

So not worth adding a layer of plywood between the bracket and tabletop (600mm x 300mm x 25mm) DxWxH - to spread the backet's weight-bearing capability?

And has anyone asked what sort of wall this is going into? 500kg brackets are all very well, but an MF stud wall wo t be able to support that sort of weight without considerable extra benefit g up, and even plasterboard will crumble unless the weight of the bra ket is spread a cross a greater area by mounting the bracket on a larger MDF or timber pattress

And has anyone asked what sort of wall this is going into? 500kg brackets are all very well, but an MF stud wall wo t be able to support that sort of weight without considerable extra benefit g up, and even plasterboard will crumble unless the weight of the bra ket is spread a cross a greater area by mounting the bracket on a larger MDF or timber pattress

It is a brick wall. Its the party wall.

What if I was to use a 25mm thick plywood piece on the wall too. 500mmX500mm say? And bolt that into the wall and the bracket into the plywood and brick?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Apparently it can be done!

Same tabletop and bracket!! (although I said 330mm, seem 480mm or 580mm is more appropriate)

gUfAhpQ.jpg

Clearance of 480mm brackets:
xG34ckY.jpg

He is using several brackets, which makes me think, I could use the Alex drawers beside that a bracket and one bracket at the other end. That would seem to provide enough support.

Remaining images:
https://imgur.com/gallery/4AKUp7u

edit:
something like this?
image.png

Last edited:
random idea - could you add strength to the front right corner with a chain from a ceiling joist?

Hmm not ideal because this desk is intended to go inside a loft eave. Therefore it's only 5inches to the "ceiling" also not really a fan of the look.

masscrazy, I like your desk, man! You’ve done a great job. Actually, I’ve signed up here to get more encouragement for doing some DIY stuff, and you’ve inspired me to make it! My son has an old desk, so I’d like to make something like this https://eurekaergonomic.com/l-shaped-desks/ for him. He says he really wants a desk with an RGB light. In short, it’s gonna be an L-shaped wooden table with some glass/epoxy resin inserts. It would also be cool if this desk could change its height. So, guys, what should I begin with?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back