desludging

VSR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i intend to use sentinel X800 to desludge my central heating system. will there be a problem if i left the chemical in for a whole week? my boiler has a cast iron heat exchanger and the pipework is old copper.

many thanks
vsr

Sponsored Links
Not a problem if you buy the X800 today as now it is not corrosive to aluminium anyway, even though that doesn't matter to you. But the important information is that it does not use acid.

Furthermore it has a half life and when inadvertantly not flushed out properly it degrades itself.

When you come to finish the job and have put your inhibitor in Sentinal do an inhibitor test kit for a couple of quid which will affirm for you the system water is adequately protected.

I am not sure how you would obtain one I was using them professionally after powerflushing in Westminster. maybe write to Sentinel, I am sure they would be very helpful.

Some parts of your system however might entail physical action. Where the cold feed pipe enters the flow pipe cut out a couple of feet and renew. Your old cast iron heat exchanger might be blocked up in many places.

Maybe your best action is to take out the old boiler, deal with the cold feed, hire a powerflush and place it where the old boiler was, and propely flush the whole system.

Some parts of your system however might entail physical action. Where the cold feed pipe enters the flow pipe cut out a couple of feet and renew. Your old cast iron heat exchanger might be blocked up in many places.

Maybe your best action is to take out the old boiler, deal with the cold feed, hire a powerflush and place it where the old boiler was, and propely flush the whole system.

many thanks indeed for everything you said, paul barker. i am sorry, but i did not understand the reason for cutting out a couple of feet of pipe and renewing it. also how would one knoe if infact there are blockages within the heat exchanger?

Sponsored Links
now that we have more detail that is not likely. The mental picture my crystal ball painted was of an old wreck.

Bengasman is on the right trail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back