Detached Garage Supply

10 or 16 would be overkill
Probably, but IMO the relatively small difference in cost is a worthwhile "insurance premium" against the expense, the effort, and the damage to the garden of having to dig a 40m trench a 2nd time if ever the load does increase.

Would you dig a 40m trench for someone in return for a payment equivalent to the difference in cost between 40m of 4/6mm² and 10/16mm²?

Sponsored Links
10 or 16 would be overkill
Probably, but IMO the relatively small difference in cost is a worthwhile "insurance premium" against the expense, the effort, and the damage to the garden of having to dig a 40m trench a 2nd time if ever the load does increase. ... Would you dig a 40m trench for someone in return for a payment equivalent to the difference in cost between 40m of 4/6mm² and 10/16mm²?
I think that you have (uncharacteristically) undersold your case! If one ever did have to dig that second trench, one would also have to fork out for 40m of 10/16mm² cable (in addition to having already paid for the initial 4/6mm²) - plus the fact that both labour and cable costs would then be at future, rather than present, levels (and hence might possibly be greater in 'real terms').

Having said all that, if the OP believes that the chances of his power requirements outstripping the capabilities of 4/6mm² cable within the period of his occupancy are extremely low, then it might (for him) be sensible to go for the cheaper option.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks,

I'm not too sure what I'll be doing yet, I might just get a torch to light my way from the Garage to the house for this year as it's looking expensive!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm not too sure what I'll be doing yet, I might just get a torch to light my way from the Garage to the house for this year as it's looking expensive!
Fair enough. As far as cable size is concerned, I think that most people would go for cable which would be adequate for any needs they can reasonably envisage arising within the next few years, rather than forking out more up-front in the name of more speculative long-term 'future proofing" - but the choice and decision will obviously be yours.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back