Detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the pipe,live wire and stud detectors you can buy eg black and decker really work or would I be wasting my money,if so can anyone recommend a descent one?

Thank,
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Do the pipe,live wire and stud detectors you can buy eg black and decker really work or would I be wasting my money,if so can anyone recommend a descent one?

Thank,
Bryan

I have 3, not cheap ones. I did not find one that is reliable, in my opinion do not waste your money.

If some one found one that works and reliable, I would like to hear about it too...

you see, this is the problem they all say that they will locate metal, studs and electrical wires, but they never do, and if they do they are not reliable, every time they show a different position. I need it mostly for locating the studs in partition walls and joists in ceilings.

I wonder if some one found one that does the job...

Sponsored Links
I got one today from the work the Bosch DMF 10 Zoom, infact they bought 300 of them, after a play around today it is near enough pin point accurate. Detects wood, metal and electrics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-DMF-10-...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Though when the cable is in conduit it dosent pick up live cable so you have to search for "metal" instead and pick the conduit up. Could even use it to follow a cable running under the floor boards which could come in handy at some point.

Supposidly all 300 will be getting "flashed" in a few months time to allow them to pick up on plastic water pipes so another added bonus.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I got a DMF Zoom 10, got it at a bargain price on the bay. Does the job fine, detects stud work fine. I am intrigued by this 'Flashing' you talk of CaptainKidd. Any more info on it?

I am intrigued by this 'Flashing' you talk of CaptainKidd. Any more info on it?

I dont know to much about it at the moment, we had the guy in from bosch telling us all about them as so many where bought, he said bosch is working on a programme that should be ready in a few months and they will be flashed with the software to pick up on plastic water/waste pipe etc.

He named another make out there that picks up on plastic pipe and is an all in one detector, so this is to compete with them, when i get it done i will put it up here to let you know. ;)

Have to agree with the bosch reccomendations, just got one ourselves and so far it's spot on.
Detects steel up to 100mm depth + timber, wires etc

Can buy it online for around £40 if you shop about

you see, this is the problem they all say that they will locate metal, studs and electrical wires, but they never do, and if they do they are not reliable, every time they show a different position. I need it mostly for locating the studs in partition walls and joists in ceilings.

Albert, the Zircon detector will find the exact position of any nail head.

When in use the blue bar is the detector (about half the length of a hot glue stick but about the same diameter) you can sweep using the length of the bar and you can pinpoint by turning the device and using the end of the bar.

I can't fault it.:cool:

But I stress it is a metal detector, so it does just that one thing (but very well)

Devices that claim to carry out more than one function normally sacrifice quality for quantity.

Albert, the Zircon detector will find the exact position of any nail head.

When in use the blue bar is the detector (about half the length of a hot glue stick but about the same diameter) you can sweep using the length of the bar and you can pinpoint by turning the device and using the end of the bar.

I can't fault it.:cool:

But I stress it is a metal detector, so it does just that one thing (but very well)

Devices that claim to carry out more than one function normally sacrifice quality for quantity.

But the Bosch unit sounds good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back