Deter Children climbing a tree against rear wall..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a kill joy, i climbed trees when I was young too...

But at the back of work car park, there is a 30m wall 2m high. on the other side is a rec. At one point there is one tree in the recreation ground which forks and is handy for a child to shimmy up. Not mature, at a guess 15-20 years old self seeded.

The Razor wire along the top of the wall was removed a few weeks ago (used to be car break ins stealing sat navs back in the day) but it was deemed to be un-neccessary and also too dangerous for the occasional child who use to walk along the wall.

Now the wire has gone a few kids are enjoying climbing up and along the wall, and walking on the garages next to the wall.

A child fell through one of the garage roofs (fibre sheeting panels) a few years ago, and we're worried the same will happen again, or even one of them falling into the car park

how to deter / stop them?

Sponsored Links
I hope the correct warning signs etc are in place.

A mate worked for a water company and told this: some 13 year old lad climbed into the grounds owned by the water company, he jumped into a pond which turned out to be only 12" deep and concrete, so broke his ankle. Parents sued and won! Go figure

Anti climb paint with some big notices? I don't know how that would affect the tree though. Best solution I would think is to get rid of the tree.

At one point there is one tree in the recreation ground

Talk to the people responsible for the recreation ground. They "own" the tree and any problems it may cause.

The stupid part in law is that if you do anything to reduce the hazard then the law can say you are fully aware of the hazard. If there is an injury then the law could say you had not taken adequate steps to prevent it.

Sponsored Links
I've messaged the council. I've stated children could get injured (and in the past have) and also any trees growing next to the wall will in future damage the wall... Hopefully they'll act.

We were thinking of buying stinging nettle seeds and sprinkle them in the rec, if there are any other fast growing hardy prickly plants that may work too please advise!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back