How to fix timber frame to felt roof without causing leaks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today I had a small flat roof on my extension replaced as it had perished and was leaking.

The roof previously had a timber frame fixed along the roadside edge to which barbed wire and a trailing plant were fixed for security. The frame was about 1m high and about 3m long, fixed to an upstand. The roofers obviously had to remove the frame to replace the felt, but I would now like to reinstate it. The roofers suggested that I avoid nailing the replacement though the felt as any movement would enlarge the holes and cause leaks.

There have been several break-in on my road and a neighbour spotted someone climbing over my fence a few months ago so I am keen to avoid making myself an easy target. The council have made access to my flat roof easier by putting a pole (for a parking notice) about 6 inches from the wall and so small spikes wont really cut it as someone could shimmy up the pole and hop over the spikes.

I can fix the replacement wooden frame/trellis to the wall at one end, but it'll flap around like mad in the wind if it isn't at least fixed to the roof at the unsupported end. Unfortunately I can't easily fix it through the side of the roof (where a barge board would be) as there is section of guttering in the way.

I can't really see any way of avoiding fixing the frame through the new felt (onto the upstand again) so was looking for advice on how I can minimise the chances of it leaking.

My idea was to seal the timber to the felt with a bitumen mastic to avoid water getting under the timber, and dip the screws in the same stuff before screwing the timber to the upstand. Would I be best using nails or screws, I presume that the upstand is made of timber but I forgot to check. Would there be any adhesives which would bond well enough to avoid mechanical fasteners completely?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Is there no way you could fabricate a bracket arrangement whereby the brackets are fixed to the masonry below the roof line and somehow dog-leg around the fascia to provide support? I'm picturing something shaped a bit like a slaters rip...?

When you say you can' fix into the barge/fascia because of the gutter, does this mean the gutter uses up all of the available space along the fascia?

A piccy would be good.

Could fit gallows brackets upside down to the frame and weight these down with sandbags or something, which could be removed for roof maintenance as required?...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back