Repair Leaking Felt Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage roof has recently been done, long story short I have been left with a roof that leaks, there are other issues as well. Money is tight at present and I need a DIY solution to extend the roof life as much as possible.

The roofer that did the work has been paid (materials only) he had 3 chances to fix it but the abutment still leaks. I thought I had a guy lined up to fix the issues, but I know his Dad passed away and he now seems to have stopped working.

The issues are:
  • Most crucially the roof is leaking where the roof abuts the house
  • The roofer admitted that he cut the felt and repaired with flashing tape (see image IMG_2824.JPG)
  • Angle fillets have not been fitted
  • The felt is blowing in places
  • The felt at the front edge by the gutter is also lifting
  • The final layer of felt is not running the right way, as I understood it should run with the principle fall of the roof
  • The weltered drip is wrong with nails visible
Any ideas of how I could best go about fixing the leaking abutment and prolonging the life of the roof would be great?

I can just about live with the way it looks but I cannot have it leaking.

IMG_2818.JPG
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2813.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice have taken a look and will give Acrypol a try.

Assuming the felt isn't adhering properly to the brick under the flashing, is there a product I could use to fix this in place?

presumably, the leak you report is showing inside the garage?

the drip edge into the gutter is wrong, and will possibly give water damage problems in a year or two?

the issue of the felt upstand under the protection of the lead flashing, even without angle fillets,
seems like a non-issue - unless the felt seams are wide open, and then all bets are off.

you could use a bitumen like Blackjack, only buy the cheaper stuff, to stick your upstand to the brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the leak is showing inside the garage.

Have just looked under the leading to access what's been done as you can see the felt is lifting in places.

More concerned about obvious issue in the other picture:

IMG_20200207_112753006.jpg
IMG_20200207_112637607.jpg

Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back