dewalt DWS780 - second machine, second brake failure???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just received by second DWS780 and it seems to have a similar/same fault as the first - the electronic brake doesn't work. (the first one also had other issues)

If I run the machine to full speed and then release the trigger it takes around 3.5 - 4.5 seconds to stop - is that normal?

I have a Makita MLS100 too and the brake on that stops within a second - you can really tell that the Makita is braking.

I can't seem to find any reference to how long it should take; a few people seem to suggest the DWS780 should also be 'within a second'.

To me it seems as though there isn't any brake, just friction slowing it down.

Anyone have one of these and can provide any help?

Thanks,

TS

UPDATED!!

Just spoke to helpful guy from Dewalt technical support. It seems the older versions (708 etc) used an electronic break, but the newer ones (like the 780) don't - they just use the friction of the belt to slow it down and this can take "up to 10 seconds". Seems they changed to this way of working because the motors were failing due to lots of quick stop/starts since the old way of braking was to put the motor in to reverse for a brief while to stop the blade. And this resulted in the motors burning out.

Sponsored Links
If I run the machine to full speed and then release the trigger it takes around 3.5 - 4.5 seconds to stop - is that normal?
Ther relevant piece of legislation is PUWER 98 which requires all woodworking machinery used in a commercial environment to stop within 10 seconds. Some SCM table saws achieve this by just the friction of the drive belt alone. There is no legal requirement to have any form of brake so long as your equipment meets the 10 second limit. Obviously because mitre saws can be sold for use in workshops the makers tend to ensure that they meet the relevant standard

thanks, that's interesting to know this is the reason for the 10 seconds.

I feel a bit disappointed that the dewalt, over £600 is worse in this regards than my Makita, probably less then £200 I think.

yes the Dewalt has more functions, but I always loved/love the really quick braking on the Makita, especially for the reduction in noise as well as the fact I still have 10 fingers!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back