Have I broken my mitre saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I got a very cheap mitre saw and was using it for firewood duty when it began to make a horrible noise and, on taking it apart, I found that the ballrace between the motor and gearbox had crapped out- bits of chewed metal everywhere. My firewood pile is slats from palletes, no nails, well within the capacity of the saw.

So I decided to bite the bullet and try a more upmarket tool for the job, a second hand Makita LS1040. But after just a few minutes use I'm wondering if I'm damaging it by cutting too much, too fast. I'm sure the blade ought to braking itself between cuts, but it's no longer doing this...
Is it bad for these saws to be used without letting the blade stop between cuts? Is this how I ruined the first one??

Sponsored Links
Brakes often the first thing to fail , no harm in letting the saw run, except to your own health if you leave a hand there.

Good news! (I think)
Had another go with the saw today and when I went to cut, the blade stopped in the wood. Turns out it's simply come loose on the shaft.
So no worries afterall :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back