Diamond core drill Bosch or Makita confused over wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at these for a few months now and last thursday decided to get the Makita 8406 from Plumbfix thinking it would be delivered the next day. Disapointingly it wasn't and found out I had to wait until today (29th) for delivery.

I waited for Parcel Farce all day but nothing, I'm so annoyed that when it does come I'm taking it to the trade counter for a refund as their are better deals to be had but was willing to pay slightly more thinking I was getting it next day. Its been a week since I ordered and still no delivery.

I will either re buy the makita (850W) at £255, or have been looking at a Bosch (1500W) at £273.

http://www.makitadirect.co.uk/acatalog/8406_Diamond_Core_Drill.html

The Bosch boasts higher wattage but on the link below it says the output power is 840W which makes it lower than the Makita.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=186242

Which would be the better core drill? 127mm would be the absolute max I'd use it for.

Sponsored Links
Usually i would always say Bosch
but in this instance it has to be the makita , the bosch is a bloody menace - the clutch kicks in far too late and is almost dangerous

Interesting thanks, I was swaying towards the Bosch.

What about the input wattage/power output wattage I'm still confused, is it the manufacturers making it look more powerful than it actually is like when buying speakers, eg RMS/PMPO etc.

I've used the 8406 and that's what our company currently runs, I have to admit I've always found them to be a bit gutless with the clutch kicking in far too early for my liking. Irritatingly Makita don't quote max torque anywhere so you can't do a direct comparison on that. I don't know where Tooled Up have got the Bosch output figure from either, as Bosch don't seem to quote that. Makita do a 1400W input version called the 8406C, not sure if it's any better but like the Bosch it does have two speed settings.

I've never used the Bosch but I'd be tempted to give it a go, Seaangler may have used an older version of it, the GSB162-2RE is advertised as "NEW" in the July 2011 catalogue. The Bosch also has a three-year warranty, whereas the Makita only gets one year.

Sponsored Links
Try a Marcrist DDM2. They're a little more expensive, but they're seriously meaty machines. They'll do wet cores as well as dry, and don't require adapters on the cores.

I've used the 8406 and that's what our company currently runs, I have to admit I've always found them to be a bit gutless with the clutch kicking in far too early for my liking. Irritatingly Makita don't quote max torque anywhere so you can't do a direct comparison on that. I don't know where Tooled Up have got the Bosch output figure from either, as Bosch don't seem to quote that. Makita do a 1400W input version called the 8406C, not sure if it's any better but like the Bosch it does have two speed settings.

I've never used the Bosch but I'd be tempted to give it a go, Seaangler may have used an older version of it, the GSB162-2RE is advertised as "NEW" in the July 2011 catalogue. The Bosch also has a three-year warranty, whereas the Makita only gets one year.

the 8406 may not be the most powerful but gets the job done - up to 6" cores without many problems
Avoid the 8406c we tryed them in out hire fleet a few years back and they were nothing but trouble
Ive sold one of the bosch to a fella built like a brick outhouse - he got thrown across a kitchen by it !! last time i spoke to him he was due to drill a hole high up using a ladder - to be blunt he was crapping himself at the thought and was probaly going to hire one of the 8406's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back