Confused about drills! Can I core drill with an SDS drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im confused.

Been using my plumbers (he knows!) heavy duty SDS max drill to chisel a chanel in a concrete floor and it worked well.

I now need to drill a 65mm hole through a single skin block dwarf wall under a conservatory.

I was going to treat myself to a lighter weight SDS plus Makita as I'll use the chisel operation possibly in future jobs and thought a decent medium duty drill would be a good addition. Surprised though its only a 780 watt drill.

I have a Bosch standard hammer drill with keyless chuck which is 680 watt. Would this not handle the 65mm core drill? A 100 watts cant make much difference.

What is so good about SDS drills that they are seen as heavy duty but their wattage isnt much higher than normal DIY drills?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is so good about SDS drills that they are seen as heavy duty but their wattage isnt much higher than normal DIY drills?

Thanks

The vastly more efficient mechanism of securing and impacting a bit for chisel or hammer drilling.

You could do core drilling with a small SDS, but you'd be better off just hiring the lot from a local tool hire shop. Especially if you like your wrists in an unbroken state. Costs less than 25 quid at my local one.

Whichever route you choose, do make sure the drill has a slip clutch.....can save a wrist injury.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Using small sds machines as a kango will shorten their life significantly, best bet in my opinion is to get yourself a good bosch gbh 2kg (120ish) and then a cheapo 4/5kg titan or similar for 50 quid. You can then save your good drill for drilling and treat the bigger one as expendable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back