Diamond core drilling - wet or dry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Popular instructions tend to state that diamond core drills should be used dry, yet when using a diamond blade in a Stihl saw for example, water is recommended.....I appreciate this may be for dust nuisance of course.
So, would using my core drills wet give any advantage, or would it be incorrect?
Cheers and good evening
John :)

Sponsored Links
Right, and thanks a lot for that ;)
It looks like water is actually a good idea, on the face of it.....maybe its just not recommended by the hirers due to the electrical safety issues.

Using water depends on the type and size of the core, the speed, and the material.

Most cores up to 6" (and a bit over) are done dry in normal materials, afaik. Some small ones are so fast they're done wet (40mm and the like), but you often use carbide cores for that (impact drilling).

Sponsored Links
In my attempt to make yet another £million :p I'm trying to sort out rising dampness in the walls of some elderly stone cottages.
This involves core drilling 78mm diameter to a depth of around 300mm.
I've scrounged some 3" clay drain pipes (12" long) and I'm setting them in the core using non hydraulic lime putty - the core is around 2 degrees pointing down from the horizontal. The open end is capped with a plastic soffit ventilator to prevent insect ingress if the end of the clay is in rubble.
The idea is that water will capilliary attract through the clay drain and air will help the moisture to escape...its slow but it definitely works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back