Did I make my doorway too small?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a pair of bifold doors in room, pic below. I planned (sort of) for Jeld-wen, which require 76.2cm each, so 152.4cm total.

The opening I have is about 156cm, maybe 155.5 in one place... so that only leaves 3.1cm to fix a frame. I guess I can get a piece of wood cut to 1.5cm by 10cm? But is this going to cause issues? Or am I being silly? I was thinking I'd put on a 3cm thick door frame ...

These are the doors I am hoping to install:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Sti...d-4-Panel-Internal-Bi-Fold-Door/p/9000223439#

IMG_20201127_114318248.jpg

Sponsored Links
The doors are 4mm smaller than stated according to small print at bottom of details and can also be reduced by 10mm in width but it’s not clear if that’s per door or pair.
Better to visit and measure the doors .
FWIW I think jeld-wen are crap

15mm thick timber hinge set in 1-1.5mm screw head about 4-5mm so dont think 11mm off thread will grip at all you may get away with 21mm actual thread[25mm timber]against the usual 1 1/4" frame giving 25mm thread

The doors are 4mm smaller than stated according to small print at bottom of details and can also be reduced by 10mm in width but it’s not clear if that’s per door or pair.
Better to visit and measure the doors .
FWIW I think jeld-wen are crap

Any recommendations for a better door, that doesn't cost too much more?

Sponsored Links
15mm thick timber hinge set in 1-1.5mm screw head about 4-5mm so dont think 11mm off thread will grip at all you may get away with 21mm actual thread[25mm timber]against the usual 1 1/4" frame giving 25mm thread

I don't really understand this! The current opening is with 2 timber studs, so any door / hinge fixings can be screwed through the doorway lining into that. Is that what you mean?

you would be fine iff its a timber stud providing the gap is fully padded out at hinge and lock positions to stop any"pull" with longer screws
the other problem you may have is cupping or warping on 15mm timber also assuming your archatraves are set back say 6-9mm you then have your pins back say 5mm from the nose so could be close to or outside a solid area ??

the studs are 75x50mm so with a 15mm bit of wood there will be 65mm of timber for the architraves - I think that will be OK. Can always glue.
If the 15mm timber is screwed straight onto the stud at several positions warping should not be a problem?

at this stage i would be shaving and sanding any high points in the opening as with stud its very very unusual for a gap to come out exactly plumb parallel and in wynd

after all you can measure at 3 points top middle an bottom get exactly the same 760mm but be 12mm or more out as in parallel but not plumb[leaning]

Last edited:
I think they should be OK in that respect, hopefully! I was pretty careful to get the studs vertical

If the lining is thin the screws in the hinge will hit plasterboard or just catch the edge of the frame, not ideal .

Maybe a better solution - put in 3cm door lining as planned, and get made to measure doors like these
https://www.savoytimber.com/interna...-bifold-door-complete-with-quality-track.html

With 3cm lining it's a 150cm opening - when putting the studs in I obviously forgot to account for the space needed for the doors, instead just allowed for two 75cm doors.

Spending a bit extra on a made to measure door should be cheaper than hiring a carpenter to fit poorly fitting ones.

OK, so I got my wood. What is the best way to fix it to the stud wall - I have 8 screws in this, seems solid enough ... wasn't totally flat.
And how far off the floor above the finished laminate level should it sit?
door frame.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back