did I use the right trowel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to B&Q today for another bag of floor tile adhesive after running out with the cut tiles still to do..
I noticed that their range of adhesive trowels is a little more varied than I remember..
the one I have and used has notches of about 5mm square.. but they have ones that are about 3mm x 10mm, some that are 20mm semi-circular notches etc..
are there different trowels for different jobs then?

Sponsored Links
i would say a 5mm trowel for the floor isnt big enough, i use mainly a 8mm or a 10mm trowel in most cases on uneven floors.

i personally wouldnt even use 5mm on walls!

6mm min for walls, (yes the 1mm makes a world of diff)

but one of the adhesive companys bad says that (for floors) it will cover 2 sqm with a 5mm trowell.

which i know it wouldnt anyway

Sponsored Links
Hey, don't start. You're already on the list... you don't want to be higher on it. Have you seen the Saw movies? I make that geezer look like Stuart Hall. ;)

ok so 5mm was a guestimte.. they might be 6mm square...

so I should have used the 20mm semicircle trowel for the floor then?

no dude 20mm is overkill for flat floors

go for 10-12mm depending what your local store has.

Hey, don't start. You're already on the list... you don't want to be higher on it. Have you seen the Saw movies? I make that geezer look like Stuart Hall. ;)

stuart hall off its a knockout?

no dude 20mm is overkill for flat floors
how did you know i live in a flat?
the floors are not exactly level.. I really wish I'd self leveled them first now.. seems to "dip" towards the middle.. bloody council builders...

go for 10-12mm depending what your local store has.

a 20mm semicircle would be 10mm deep...

i meant flat floors as in not uneven

and trust me dude youll just be using loads more adhesive than you need,

plus you have the extra chance that the bigger the notch the more likely you will get a tile or 2 unlevel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back