Another notched trowel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a few posts ago I explained the size of tiles I had got (16x10") for the bathroom walls.

Gcol told me a 10mm notch was needed for these, thanks mate.

Anyway, I have a mosaic border to add in, and have read that a 3mm notch is needed for mosaic. Does this still apply when the mosaic is in a border format, between tiles bedded on adhesive applied by a 10mm notched trowel? In this case the mosaic are about the same thickness as the main tiles. Should I bed 'em on a 10mm nothced adhesive bed?

The floor are a foot square, can I use the same 10mm notched trowel for this as the walls, or should I buy a trowel with 20x10mm half round notches for the floor?

I am wondering whether I need one, or three, notched trowels to do the job. All advice gratefully appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, I have a mosaic border to add in, and have read that a 3mm notch is needed for mosaic. Does this still apply when the mosaic is in a border format, between tiles bedded on adhesive applied by a 10mm notched trowel? In this case the mosaic are about the same thickness as the main tiles. Should I bed 'em on a 10mm nothced adhesive bed?
If you don't, you'll end up with the mosaics set in from the other tiles - unless you pack out the mosaics. Personally, I'd use the same notched trowel and just use your shiny new grout float to gently push them level with the face of the other tiles.

The floor are a foot square, can I use the same 10mm notched trowel for this as the walls, or should I buy a trowel with 20x10mm half round notches for the floor?
I'd stick with a 10mm radius notch - you can get cheapo plastic ones from BnQ that work fine.

I am wondering whether I need one, or three, notched trowels to do the job. All advice gratefully appreciated, thanks.
Two. :p

OK a 10mm radius notched for the floor and a 10mm square notched for the walls it will be.

Gonna go with BAL adhesives/primer/tanking products (not worked out which yet).

Just veered off to the Wickes website which advises that their own brand tile adhesive is "Irritant". I bet it is, in fact "irritating" would probably be a more appropriate description.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back