Getting tiles and mosaic flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to tile the back wall of my shower. I have already tanked it.

There will be a vertical section of mosaic tiles (which are 4.7cm square) in the centre of the wall about 40cm wide by 240cm tall. Either side will be 45cm x 30cm tiles (cut to size).

Both mozaics and tiles are the same depth. However, I read that I should use a smaller notched mosaic trowel for the mozaics, so is there a best way to get both tiles and mozaics flat? Is it possible to simply tile the mosaics with the same 10mm square notched trowel?

Sponsored Links
Tile either side first with the larger tiles.
As a mosaic trowel trowel has a three mm notch the depth of adhesive will be about 1.5mm when fixed.
Get a piece of timber slightly wider than the gap then from the edge mark the thickness of the mosaics plus 1.5mm,then notch out two corners.
Apply some adhesive to the wall using the flat side of the trowel then starting from the bottom scrape the timber up the gap,this should leave the right depth for mosaics plus adhesive.

When its gone off fix the mosaics,use the other side of the timber to press them flat ,they should then be flush with the wall tiles.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back