Did they used to chase gas pipes into solid (party) walls in the '60s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.
Hope I'm posting this in the correct place.

When I moved into my gaff (mid terrace, built 1966) in 2009 I noticed that the paster looked shot at the bottom of a wall next to the chimney breast, and was coming away a bit. (See pic below)

I didn't think too much of it, thought I'd deal with it at a later date, put an armchair (the black one in the pic) in front of it and forgot about it.

When I pulled the arm chair away this morning I noticed it has got worse over the time. It looks to me that the plaster is blown, but there's also 'bubbling' at the bottom bit directly above the skirting board.

We was flooded a bit (not very deep but water penetrated the walls) in 2012. The armchair is permanently in that place so does not allow much airflow.

The only thing that concerned me was that there is an unused gas fire to the left. It hasn't been used since we moved in and it switched off at the safety valve in the wood fire surround, but I just wondered (as a very long shot) that the gas pipe wouldn't be buried in this (solid) wall? Like chased in? and it was causing the damage to the wall?

This is on the far wall away from the kitchen (where the boiler is) the floor on ground level is concrete and I would have thought the gas pipe feeding the fire was buried in the concrete flooring? My only concern was that if the pipe was in the wall that it might have corroded and be causing these issues. There is no visible gas pipe in that room, and to the right of the picture is the front of the house, and the cavity wall, but I have no idea if there is a gas pipe in there)

I plan to pull the damaged plaster off (which smells 'musty' underneath, not 'of gas!') and let it dry out for a while, then treat and make good.

There is no other dampness on any of the walls in that, or any other, room.

Just thought I'd ask on here.

Any experience of such things (like gas pipes in 1960's walls causing issues, or if anyone recognises what it looks like from these pics) I'd be very grateful for any advice

As I say I've never smelt gas before and there has been someone doing a safety check last year and picked up no gas smell at that time, otherwise I would have called Gas Emergency Services straight away.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/plaster-shot-and-dampness-in-wall.470462/#ixzz4PWDYvDWM

IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG
IMG_6068.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like normal dampness.

Usually from faulty damp course or similar.

But what is on other side of the wall?

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony. It's a party wall, so next door's kitchen.

Have you ever heard of gas pipes chased into party walls though Tony?

FFS Seeing as the plaster is already fooked and needs replacing. Carefully remove some of it and check !!

Sponsored Links
Could there be water leaking in the kitchen next door?

Gas pipes chased into walls don't cause that effect.

Tony

So, tonight I took a bit of the plaster away. This is looking down. You can see the skirting at the bottom. No smell of any gas - just very musty and damp smelling. It does not make the room smell damp though and never has - just this localised area. At no other area of the wall does it seem damp or problematic

IMG_6077.JPG

Below is the proximity to the chimney breast, which again does not show signs or feel of damp.You can see the gas switch off valve within the wood surround at the bottom
IMG_6071.JPG

Below
The switch of valve, disabled.
IMG_6073.JPG

Below:

Looks like the pipe is going into the concrete floor rather than the wall. I'll pull out that laminate edging at the weekend to check direction
IMG_6075.JPG

Below:
To the right of the affected area of wall. Wall by the sockets is the front external cavity. Cavity not been filled and no real sign or smell of dampness. on any other area
IMG_6078.JPG

Below:
Section of wall about 3' above affected area at junction of wall and chimney breast. Bone dry and no sign of dampness of issues.
IMG_6079.JPG

As long as it's not gas-related (from the pipe) as I had a corroded pipe leading up to the house that was leaking so am a bit sensitive to gas!

Cheers for looking though fellas.

Any other comments would be most appreciated.

My only other observation was the construction materials of the wall - this is a 1966 built party wall. Looks unusual to me...No cracks or other issues throughout the house.

First off, determine whether the gas to the appliance is live (with gas in the pipe)? Or if the gas supply has been isolated closer to the meter?

Next take the perished plaster back to masonry up to 150mm from the floor - it would be an idea to also carefully ease off the skirting, and knock off some plaster from behind it.
Then post photos.
Doing the above would prove if a pipe is present, and should give some indication of any damp.
There's a shadow line about 1000mm above the floor indicating previous plastering/rendering?

AAMOI: the last photo of the red and graphite solid panels of colour look like famous paintings by a guy named Barnett Newman - how come I 'm so smart? Well, because my ex-girlfriend had a room full of posters of his pictures. How much do you want for the wall? Barnett Newman's sell for millions.

Back to the original question - has anybody had any experience of gas pipes being placed running horizontally in a (party) wall? Surely they would have been buried in the concrete floor with correct protection?

There are no gas pipes running along the front of the property coming through the cavity wall by the plug sockets by the way

Thanks for any replies

I'd be wanting to know what is going on the other side of that wall to start with. Have they got a leak they are unaware of? Not impossible the gas pipe could be buried in the wall, first rule is never assume anything, but as you can see it going under the floor, I think its a fair assumption it runds underneath the floor and wont return upwards and along the wall.

Either way, no gas pipe is going to cause damp issues in a wall to my knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back