Diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car is in a tax band low enough for the government to only charge me £110.

I am told it is because it has a very clean, non-polluting engine.

So why is the price of diesel is extortionate?

Sponsored Links
It's cheaper than Coca-cola. Stop whinging and start using it less.

joe

securespark said:
My car is in a tax band low enough for the government to only charge me £110.

I am told it is because it has a very clean, non-polluting engine.

So why is the price of diesel is extortionate?

Depends which pollutants are measured.

Road tax Road tax is now based on the amount of CO2 your car gives out. Diesel cars pump out less CO2 as they're more efficient than petrol ones. But there are higher toxic emissions from the diesel.

I shall not be concerned, there are far greater untaxed polluters.

On a worldwide basis, we are a small drop in the ocean .. and have to share the atmosphere... World leaders or merely adding leverage to higher fuel taxation?
:D

Road tax should be on fuel, not emisions. I pay £170 a year for a transit and do around 3000 miles. That's 5.6p a mile. If someone in the same tax bracket as you (£110) did say 6000 miles that'd be 1.8p a mile. How's that fair? They'd be polluting more than I would and paying less. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Road tax should be on fuel, not emisions.
I've often thought this, yet it seems to be a very unpopular idea.

I do think it would be fairer to levy the tax on fuel (therefore mileage) rather than a set amount per year. Why should my grandparents who do less than 2000 miles a year pay the same as Mr Paper-Clip Salesman who does 40000?

It's called "road tax" - should it not be applied through fuel to appropriately charge those who use the roads more, and "reward" those who use them less?

or better still we have massive outcrys about the way we are being robbed

i want all the money i pay to drive put into roads if its not then i want a rebate

failing that we need the motoring associations to call for civil unrest in the form of

1 pay for your fuel and dont pay the duty but supply your name and address so they can send you a bill

2 ?

ninebob said:
Mr Paper-Clip Salesman

Ah, the poor PC salesman. He features in many of your posts, doesn't he?

I take it you know one you are not on speaking terms with?

securespark said:
ninebob said:
Mr Paper-Clip Salesman

Ah, the poor PC salesman. He features in many of your posts, doesn't he?

I take it you know one you are not on speaking terms with?

Ninebob keeps trying to have a word but the salesman keeps zooming off in his car!

Sponsored Links
Back