CO2 Output Of Cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been idly looking at the new car listings in AE.

Given that the tax band applicable to the 1.6 TDCi Focus is up to 120g/km., why have Ford bothered with an Eco model (114/5)?

This does not significantly reduce the figure of the standard motor (119), unlike for example, the Fiesta, whose Eco model reduces the figure enough to squ
eeze it into the lower tax band.

Also, while Ford are to be applauded by introducing so many Eco models, why are so many others not bothering? If I buy a new car now (and even in the future, when this depression is over), I'll be looking for Eco features, more MPG, cheaper RFL etc...

Surely to boost sales, manufacturers should be tempting buyers with cars that appeal to their thrifty nature?

So many manufacturers don't seem to be making the effort. Citroen, whose 1.6 HDi engines are rebadged TDCi & used in Fords, post CO2 figures as high as 150g/km.

Even my comparatively old 1.9TDi Octavia has an output 10g/km less than that.

Fiat's cracking 1.3 diesel varies between 110-137, depending upon the model.

Surely these figures can be improved upon if they really try??

Underbody trays, lower rolling resistance tyres, remapped ECU's & taller gearing can all be employed, amongst others, to improve ratings.

Sponsored Links
The Citroen C4 1.6 HDi 92hp has a CO2 output of 117 g/km, not that much worse than the Fords 114 g/km. As you say it is the same PSA/Ford joint venture engine after all.

There is a Citroen C4 model with CO2 of 140 g/km in which the 2.0HDi engine is tuned to about 140 bhp but I don't think that is a fair comparison.

I agree some of the other manufacturers need to do some catching up.

Don't forget the 4 - 6 tonnes of C02 required to manufacture your new car.

And the tonnes of CO2 from the electricity to run the servers on which DIYNot and the interwibble in general are hosted, so that you can post about CO2 emissions.... ;)

Sponsored Links
The Citroen C4 1.6 HDi 92hp has a CO2 output of 117 g/km,
Am I right in thinking this puts it into the lowest tax band (£35)

My C4 has this engine, and im paying about £120, i think the figure for mine is about 125-130g/km. Mine is an 06 reg, so how do they reduce the CO2 in 3 years and keep the performance the same?

117g/km is in band C at £35, and band D is 121-130g/km at £120.

The lowest band is A, up to 100g/km ands that attracts nill charge.

Sponsored Links